Consent and Capacity Board and Ontario Review Board

The Consent and Capacity Board (CCB) is the provincial tribunal that resolves disputes between individuals and health professionals respecting involuntary hospital admissions, medical and psychiatric treatment decisions, financial incapacity findings, and end of life decision making. It also has a role in choosing between competing substitute decision makers. The Ontario Review Board (ORB) is the body responsible for conducting annual reviews of the status of persons found not criminally responsible for serious Criminal Code offences.

Swadron Associates dedicates a significant part of our CCB practice to advocating for clients who face restrictions on their liberty and treatment against their will. We also act for family members who are alleged to have failed to fulfill their obligations in making substitute treatment decisions (Form G applications under the Health Care Consent Act, 1996). Our experience with the process helps us advise family members on how best to help persons in crisis.

The firm serves clients in CCB and ORB cases throughout the Greater Toronto Hamilton Area. We will accept Legal Aid certificates for clients in the area bounded by Dufferin Street, St. Clair Avenue and Victoria Park Avenue and at the following Toronto hospitals:

  • Bridgepoint Hospital
  • Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (College and Queen Street Sites)
  • Hospital for Sick Children
  • Humber River Hospital (Wilson Site)
  • Mount Sinai Hospital
  • North York General Hospital - General Site
  • St. Joseph’s Health Centre
  • Sunnybrook and Women’s College Health Science Centre
  • St. Michael’s Hospital
  • Toronto East General (Michael Garron) Hospital
  • Toronto General Hospital
  • Toronto Grace Hospital
  • Toronto Western Hospital

We are currently able to offer services in English, French, Farsi, Hindi, Punjabi, Russian and Urdu and in other languages using outside interpreters. To speak with a lawyer respecting a Consent and Capacity Board or Ontario Review Board matter, please call us at (416) 362-1234

Representative Cases

If you are hospitalized and need help with a legal matter, you can also contact the provincial Psychiatric Patient Advocates Office at (416) 327-7000 or toll free at 1 (800) 578-2343.